 Off-Topic / Fun / 5085
Re: Idle Ramblings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:11:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Thomas Main writes:
I heard an NPR report about this test yesterday.  They interviewed a
10th-grader who was organizing a protest against the test by having
around 40 students write about a different topic than the one that was
prompted in the test.

Well, sort of. The plan was to:
a. show up for the test
b. not write *anything* on the test forms
c. use the time "constructively" to write a letter to the superintendent or
other representatives.

At least that was the boycotters plan in my school; but I heard that kids from
other schools tried different approaches.

The guy sounded intelligent and was articulate
but I just didn't really understand exactly why he thought the MCAS was
not a good test...I just got a vague impression that the protesters
thought there might be better assessment tools...

That too. Also, there are other reasons.
For example: many ESL students are required to take the test (like me, yeah),
and the level of comprehension/reading/writing is obviously not the same as
native speakers.
Another example: In the first year(s) of the MCAS, many many schools "failed"
it (IOW, their students didn't know what the state thought is neccessary).
Then, schools in rich communities (like my school (1)) invested time and money
in preparing their students for the MCAS; while schools in poorer communities
don't have the time and/or money to do so. So now, the "rich" schools pass the
tests in flying colors, while the "poor" schools fail miserably. And what's
the problem with this? All the money (millions of dollars) that was invested
in the test could've been invested in the "poor" schools, instead.

This aggrevated some students, we think the test doesn't really test anything
except for "what school has more money". It's also biased that way.

In case you're wondering-- I was thinking of boycotting the MCAS myself, but
decided against it for personal reasons, regarding the choices I'll have to
make two years from now.

Oh well, I just love when LUGNET has posts that are relevant and topical
enough to be mentioned on a national broadcast.

LOL!

-Shiri

(1) people here are such snobs... they keep saying how "our school is so much
better" and they look down on people who don't go to college, just because
they don't. And that's just a tiny part of it.