 Off-Topic / Debate / 5297
Re: Idle Ramblings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 20:57:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Maddison writes:
I've just GOTTA stick my two cents into this one.  I've been going to the same
school district for 13 years; (I'm a senior, YAY!) good ol' Albia Community
School District in Albia, IA.  And they are the most bass-ackward bunch I've
ever seen.  They try to "prepare" you for the rest of life, when all they
accomplish is wasting 7 hours of your day, filling your head with stuff they
read out of a book!  Do any of these teachers KNOW anything about the subject
they teach?  I say not many.  I mean, unless I'm gonna be an Advanced Algebra
professor at some college, am I ever gonna have to know what X - (2Y pie r
squared, minus, cubed root, yadda yadda yadda?  No.  School sucks, and so does
standardized tests.  Period.  The only fun to be had at school is PE, or when
a teacher actually knows what they're doing and doesn't just go by the book.

I don't even know where to trim Chris' words, so I'll just quote the whole dang
thing.  I'd venture to say that the attitude he displays helps drag down the
standards of American education.  It's one thing to be upset with the quality
of your school's education; it's quite another to be upset because they dare
try to educate you.  How excited about learning can you get, if you'd rather
whine about learning from books?

Much of what I thought I never needed in high school, I've ended up using in
the real world.  I've been surprised more than once that X - (2Y pi r squared
etc) has turned out extremely useful.  I wish I'd taken better notes in
math class.  (Note that I am not an advanced algebra teacher at college.)  Same
is true for the English, history, science, and sociology classes.

Conversely, about the most wated time for me in high school was spent in PE.  I
have never been in a situation where I've had a need to throw a football or
slap a hockey puck.  *IF* the physical education classes contributed to
bettering my health, I might have a different opinion.  Sorry, it didn't
happen.  All PE did for me was to help alienate me from the crowd.  Give me
more books and less PE, say I.

Don't get me wrong; I am not happy with the current system.  But I feel that
what's needed in public school is a stronger language, math, and hard science
cirriculum.  In no way can kids from the American education system compete with
their counterparts in the majority of industrialized nations today.

Just dropping a couple o' pennies...

Cheers,
- jsproat