 Off-Topic / Debate / *12531 (-100)
  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) So what hard descisions do you think are appropriate here? Do you agree with GWB when he says we can "win the war against terrorism" [1]? ROSCO [1] Read the speech here (URL) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) -snip- (...) make (...) retaliate, (...) Interesting questions and statements Ross. Today's events are certainly very, very tragic and saddening. The long term effects of these attacks could/will be devasting. I hope the U.S. first finds out (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) everyone (...) Although I'm generally a left-wing peace supporting citizen the events of the last year here in Israel (and now the horrible unbelievable attack in NY) have convinced me that when dealing with people that have no regard for (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) everyone (...) Why not? (...) on civilians? Yes, I can. They're all people, even if they may be somewhat mis-guided. Trouble is, Bush seems to be saying he wants to retaliate against anyone who harbours terrorists. And how do they decide who (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) I don't coun't an attack on terrorists as terrorism. can you really compare an attack on a terrorist training camp to an attack on civilians? You are right though, retaliating won't stop terrorism, it would just make it harder. That's a good (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Terrorist Attacks on America

(...) And maybe there'll be a few million more innocent people killed before everyone suddenly realises it hasn't made any difference. Is terrorism OK when sanctioned by GWB? You really think it will stop others retaliating? ROSCO (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) trading. (...) I totally disagree with such regulation. I grew up in Tasmania, Australia, where medium to large stores (forget the numbers but about >30 employees) aren't allowed to open past 12 noon Saturday, except for special cases such a (...) (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) In the words of Ghandi (paraphrased), There are many things in this world worth dying for, but there is nothing worth killing for. ROSCO (23 years ago, 12-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: -America under Attack-

(...) I am not an expert on this, but I heard on TV that no building can whitstand such prolonged burnings without partial or total collapse. My dad told me that the concrete turns to dust at 1200ºC, and then steel melts down, causing structural (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) Yes, you're absolutely right. I'm very sorry. /Tore (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

Please...hold off on the debate...seriously...you'll all have plenty of time later to bitch and moan and argue...why not let today be for the people who have been injured or killed? I'm very serious here. Give it a break, huh? Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) Those who hi-jacked the planes are a little hard to reach for the moment... And killing their leaders (along with thousands of innocent people?) won't change anything. (...) Ever heard of the Vietnam war and many other in its likeness? (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: news sources?

(...) If you have realaudio, you can connect to (URL) which is an Alberta radio network; they have a live feed from the BBC World News. James (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) How can they be? The US Government(and President Bush) wants to ensure that any reasonable action required to bring the 'extremists' responsible to justice is carried out. The 'extremists' on the other hand, have commited an act of mass (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: news sources?

I (...) (URL) A (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: news sources?

From a UK perspective: (URL) BBC site is too slow right now: (URL) A (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: news sources?

(...) I've been getting a little info from: www.thepittsburghchannel.com/ It's filtered down through the regular news veins, and will surely clog up before too long anyway, but maybe you can get some info there. There's been a 767 crash about 80 SE (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: news sources?

(...) I'm using Quicktime player to connect to BBC World. 1) Open QT Player 2) Open the Link drawer (small tab below the Play button) 3) Click BBC World DO NOT even bother clicking the ABC News link, it will just time out. ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: news sources?

(...) Try here: (URL) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  news sources?

Hey, does anyone know of any on-line news sources that aren't so congested? I'm getting only a trickle of news here. Chris (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  New Bill expands the DMCA

I just read this article on Wired.com, about a new bill to expand the DMCA: (URL) will force manufacturers to place copy protection on all electronic devices that deal with digital media. In addition, this supercedes Fair Use, and sounds to me like (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes: I agree, inasmuch as we're talking about privatization in (...) Except for, as I said, how do you incentivise the public sector to deliver value for taxpayers money? When BR knew it had the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: UK devolved government. (was Re: Harry Potter getting left out)

(...) Not in my opinion: (...) All of these were at national level, either two nations against each other or two sides vying for control of the whole nation. (...) Scottish and Welsh devolution are close, but there was no level of government (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: UK devolved government. (was Re: Harry Potter getting left out)

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:GJF0zu.LB6@lugnet.com... (...) I would have thought the UK has plenty of history of struggle between local, state and federal over the centuries. We've had civil wars, and the formation (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:GJGLDJ.5nz@lugnet.com... (...) You might have guessed that in the UK, airports are privatised too! www.baa.co.uk owns 7 british airports including Heathrow And also owns or manages under (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) I agree, inasmuch as we're talking about privatization in practice, not theoretical Libertarian privatization, which I would agree would function more effectively than the half-assed privatization Railtrack represents (but, I would also argue, (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"James Simpson" <jsimpson@rice.edu> wrote in message news:GJGFrM.B60@lugnet.com... (...) Yes, I know. I used to live in Plano. It bemused my British wife and I that we had to drive 12 miles to buy liqour but that we could buy a gun in the local (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) In Texas we have "dry" and "wet" counties. You know when you've crossed from a dry county to a wet county because the liquor stores and, not uncommonly, the topless bars, crowd the county line. I'd wager that deaths from DWI's are higher in (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) I don't. I think it is plain wrong! From: (URL) sale of government-owned equity in nationalised industries or other commercial enterprises to private investors. The sale may either transfer all the equity to private ownership, or the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) I don't have enough information on that. I'm interested because I have a fair few friends who it affects and I've tried to follow the situation in the Economist and other places but failed. My point was as set out below - You appear to be (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) Just for clarification (since there's no way to defend CA's policy): can a system be referred to as "deregulated" if regulations are removed; ie: reduced regulation = deregulation, or is it necessary for *all* regulation to be removed; ie: no (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: He didn't make a single racist comment..

(...) Greg has done a good job of elaborating upon his original point, as well as clarifying his (self-admitted) imprecise wording. However, some here felt a distinctly racial tone to this snippet: (...) from (URL) I agree that there is no (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) Yes. But calling something X doesn't make it X. Unless you agree that California recently "deregulated" its power industry. (...) I totally agree with that! In our country the FCC seems bent on engineering the "correct" number of wireless (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: He didn't make a single racist comment..

(...) I agree. No racism in Greg's comments that I saw. Not much Jingoism either. (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: Happy Americans , Abused Chinese

"Lawrence Wilkes" <lawrence@thewilkesf...rve.co.uk> wrote in message news:GJG1yq.2Gx@lugnet.com... (...) Sorry, that should have read "You compain that I didn't reply" regards lawrence (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Greg Perry" <supernerd23@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:GJAItv.53p@lugnet.com... (...) You seem to assume that 1. I have nothing to do but follow this thread. You complain that I replied. As if all I have to do is reply to you. I only noticed (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) Well that's what it the Government called it at the time! A state owned business was split up and the parts were either sold, floated or transferred under franchises. Of course you are right that Railtrack is a monopoly but it's still (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GJFG33.8yn@lugnet.com... (...) I don't think there should be any restrictions on what can be sold when, or have anything to do with the size of the store. However, there clearly has (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) I doubt it did either, but that's not what I am asking. I could care less (but not very much less...) about what the politicians were thinking. My question is, do you *personally* think it's a good idea to have a law that restricts when stores (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GJF2q7.2Ft@lugnet.com... (...) It was a complex debate that raged for years before they allowed sunday trading. I guess this was the compromise they worked out. I doubt logic had (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: UK devolved government. (was Re: Harry Potter getting left out)

(...) You need to read a bit more widely, perhaps. And does the fact that "everyone says so" make something actually "so" ?? (...) In what way is Railtrack an example of privatization? There's still one company controlling *all* the track that is (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) Why? Does this seem fair or correct to you, out of curiosity? Trimmed FUT down to just .debate... which I forgot to do first time, sorry... ++Lar (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: UK devolved government. (was Re: Harry Potter getting left out)

(...) No, actually, that's probably not as much detail as I could withstand. :D I read pretty closely on the matter when I was living in Hornsey and in Acton, especially after Kiley got involved because I use Boston's and New York's systems quite (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  UK devolved government. (was Re: Harry Potter getting left out)

(...) Lindsay As you may know I work for Ken Livingstone indirectly, in Transport for London, so I can answer these two questions (the Underground one perhaps in more detail than you may need!) 1 - Sunday trading: The Mayor and London Assembly don't (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Invasion

(...) To be accurate, and correcting myself, that was not really an "invasion", it was more like a "refuse to leave": those military units were manned essentially by serbs but were based on Croatia. Hard to define as a situation... but easy to read (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) No, what you mention up there rings a bell. I had thought there was some tie to Saturday's hours as well, but perhaps not. I wonder how long it will take the GLA to fix *that*. And has PPP been tanked yet?!? I hope so. Britain doesn't need (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:GJEqAn.K47@lugnet.com... (...) Small shops can open 24x7 Large shops (over 280sqm) can only open 6 hours on Sunday - any 6 hours between 10am and 6pm. Dont know anything about a rule (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) Actually, most stores in the Netherlands *still* don't open on Sunday, some because of statute--church attendance is down almost 75% from just 20 years ago, so it's not an anti-secular thing anymore. I hear Belgium's the same way, as is much (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) As much as I don't want to advertise for them, do make a point of trying their lemonade if you like hyper-strong (sour) lemonade mixes. I think you spelled it right. Chris (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) The U.S. Supreme Court held in 1961 that blue laws enacted by states (and by extension municipalities, I presume) restricting various aspects of Sunday commerce were constitutional. I don't believe that that decision has ever been overturned, (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message news:GJEG7x.Lt8@lugnet.com... (...) The Sunday Trading Act that allowed stores to open on Sunday in the UK was as recent as 1994. regards lawrence (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) and couldn't be sold on Sundays. (...) for most shops to trade on Sunday, I'm not sure how consistent this was across the US, so such a comparison might not be highly accurate. I know that in 1985, most stores in Missouri were closed on (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GJDrnz.7q4@lugnet.com... (...) The problem, if there is one, was created by bizarre rules about what could and couldn't be sold on Sundays. Whilst for many years, much long after the (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) Atheists? Why single out atheists? LFB (grabbing the flak helmet) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Invasion

The destruction of Vukovar, yes. See, I really did need reminding. There was the shelling of Dubrovnik, too. But it is casting a bit far back to explain the reaction of 1999. Croatia's unilateral secession had yet to be recognized at the time of (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Thanks Dennis - that's actually a very good point (in my opinion). Not to continue on with the "debate" but I think that some would respond to your assertion by asking why it has to be existing jobs that are moved instead of simply creating (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Silliness Goes On and On and On and....

(...) You're right Chris in pointing out to me that I've started lashing out with unwarranted "attacks" and generalizations when I should stick to responding to individuals and specifics. In retrospect I should have just said "I don't mind being (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Invasion

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Constantine Hannaher writes: (snipped) (...) Try "Slavonia", in Eastern Croatia. I think it was invaded by the army of the Yugoslav Federation in 1991. And the US did not *want* to invade Yugoslavia because the cost in (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) [snip] (...) Serbia... (...) [more snip] I need a little reminding as to who, what, or where was specifically invaded by Milosevic (or indeed, by Yugoslavia at all) that required a US reaction of bombing, invasion, and dismemberment. (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: U.S. / U.K. vs. Germany (a new low in text interpretation by a LUGNET reader)

(...) Why not just say yes? Of course the US and the UK would make a great team for kicking Germany's ass all over Europe if they were to allow some backward racist tyrant to take the helm of their nation. Just like the US and Germany would be a (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Silliness Goes On and On and On and....

(...) Actually quite a number of us like to be corrected. It's the only way to get better. That said, this is the first of multiple attacks against your readership in general that I think signals some kind of communications failure. I think you are (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  U.S. / U.K. vs. Germany (a new low in text interpretation by a LUGNET reader)

I know that proper netiquette dictates that I not publicly publish a private e-mail communication but since the following was sent to me anonymously by someone who didn't even have the courage to provide their name and doesn't appear to be a (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Silliness Goes On and On and On and....

(...) Once again Lindsay I thank you for your input to this discussion. I'm also probably one of the few people in this forum who appreciates being set straight on the misuse of particular words, so THANKS. I wonder if you'd be willing to circle (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China (long forgotten subject!)

(...) Which is a dodge. The way that little ditty is written, he is clearly trying to minimise or whitewash what was going on. Comparing it to the US/Canada border??? Come ON! (...) Sometimes you don't need to meet someone in person to tell what (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Made in China & Charges of Racism

Ooops! Bad nettiquette, but I mixed my idioms and my verbiage! In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun screws up: (...) Ack, I just reread this and it sounds really bad. I should have said "sustain my argument" and not "continue on" (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Made in China & Charges of Racism

Hey David, (...) Yeah. That's why once I've made a charge, if it's contested, I'll continue on (or apologize if I may have been wrong). Throwing things around flippantly like that will eventually destroy their meaning. I blame television. :) (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Silliness Goes On and On and On and....

(...) c/phenomena/phenomenon (sorry, the editor gene asserted itself) What's weirdest to me is that the cry "racism" is used so very *incorrectly* a large part of the time. For example, the charge of essentialization (which one might feasibly level (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) The initial plan had been to drop one on a relatively untouched German city, which was questionable to some--a question that conveniently vanished in May of 1945. There was also some concern over "why couldn't the bomb have been demonstrated (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Silliness Goes On and On and On and....

(...) To quote Nero Wolfe "Phooey!" Once again, I challenge you and all the other people who are so absolutely and stunningly eager to hurl charges of racism (can ANYONE explain this phenomena?) to produce the evidence of that "crime" in my posting. (...) (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Made in China & Charges of Racism

(...) Welcome to The United States of the Offended. For an interesting read try the "Bill of No Rights". One idea I always liked from it was that you do not have the right to be not offended. (23 years ago, 8-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Do you get kicks out of pointing that out? (sarcasm on) Bruce, tell me something I don't know! (...) Serbia... (...) Suuure. ;-) (sarcasm on yet again) Gee wiz, I feel so safe when the U.S. is around. I love it when they solve a problem (i.e. (...) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Actually, I understood that, but was trying to make the point in a simpler fashion. Alas, I seem to have failed. (...) It was agreed that the British and Americans would not advance on Berlin to make sure the Russians had the "honor" of taking (...) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) There isn't really a side to pick - ruthless totalitarians willing to slay millions. (...) Poor analogy. Better to say, Hitler invades, Milosevic invades, Saddam invades and the U.S. reacts. Despite all justifications, deplorable things (...) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LEGO Made in China & Charges of Racism

(...) LFB - thanks for the further validation that my original posting was not guilty of the charges that others were so quick to hurl at it. As it so typical with the people who screech "Racism!" and "Bigot!" (and living here in Richmond, Virginia (...) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: Happy Americans , Abused Chinese

In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes: (Snipped Jon's Reply to the original Posting) (...) So let me see if I've got this all straight now - in my original post I stated that I had "discovered" that LEGO was now making toys in China. I explained (...) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

When I mentioned South Africa, I was talking more about how individuals could keep the struggle in the public consciousness by avoid the products of companies who did invest in South Africa. As far as trade sanction are concerned, I think at the (...) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

Countries with few jobs don't make good customers for our goods. Dennis In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Greg Perry writes: [snip] (...) [snip] (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Nah. I think it's just Moon Madness (not a value statement about the moon, calm down everyone! ;) )--or maybe September Stress-- that's getting everyone in a tizzy. I know it's gotten the best of me a few times in the last week (maybe here (...) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Muuhahahahaha, etc etc :) (...) This is extremely interesting! My segment of British/Irish history really doesn't go back past the Boyne, so this is a very cloudy period in my knowledge. Were these Scots who invaded in the 14th-C. descended (...) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) I really enjoyed the scope of this guy's work: lots of comparison and synthesis, mostly from a global perspective. His fun stuff is neat too -- I particularly liked the alternative history of Moslem Australia. (URL) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Military Lego Sets

(...) I can see your point. In retrospect, I probably should have confirmed the intent. But hindsight is 20/20. "Historical revisionism" isn't a hot button for me, but when people bandy the charge around blithely I do find it obnoxious. Bearing in (...) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) I trust the Hitler Channel about as far as I can throw it. ;) This is the same organization that claimed the Goeben and Breslau were battleships, when in fact neither was. They rarely dig far beneath the surface because they have to generalize (...) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Military Lego Sets

(...) The straw man analogy still holds. Had you first asked Victor a question such as: Are you faulting Pedro for not invalidating Muslim Spain's relatively peaceful and prosperous existence during even the late stages of the Reconquista because of (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) LFB Germany was working on the 262 eaaly in the war ..then Hitler told them i want a bomber which delayed work on the fighter(and the fixing of problems)this fact has been stated many times in documentaries that i seen on THC/A&E. (...) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) I can. The Neutral countries'. We (Portugal and others) managed to keep the population alive and even earning money out of others misery. Our position was very... odd. We lend the Azores to the UK, later the USA - while we were selling (...) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) General Winter, the finest leader of the Russian Army! Well, him and that Zhukov chap. ;) (...) If Hitler's generals had run the war, Hitler couldn't have been Hitler. What happened was as much doctrine as it was individuals--it's like any (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Nah, that's about the figure accepted for war-related mass democide. Stalin's tally is *on top of that*. (...) Now, this is interesting. What's the political deal you heard? I know that the Germans were evacuating soldiers and civilians en (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) exhaustive. (...) many (...) Yeah, it's quite shocking. (...) Yeah, the Russians don't give up very easily. Thank God (and I'm not religious ;-D) they didn't, things could have went differently... (...) Hehe... yeah. ;-) (...) Two million (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Thereabouts. The true tally can never be known, at least not in *this* life--even your source admits that his three sources (probably Volkogonov, Conquest, and Messenger) vary widely. The reputable sources hover between 20 and 27 million. In (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) many (...) No comment, I really can't pick a side. He probably was a killer, but he sure did a lot for his country... Much like Hitler... Ooo... That doesn't sound good. ;-) Honestly, I'd love to find a leader who doesn't do horrible things (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) The only question is how many of these 25 million did Stalin off himself (there should be a smiley here, but it is kind of hard to use one when talking about this kinda of mega-death). (...) That was a political deal. (...) The Soviets had (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) True but the U.S. could have but IKE agreeded to let the U.S.S.R take Berlin(IKE knew it would have cost alot of lives to take so it was no problem for him if the russians WANTED to take it.IE "glory") (...) Hee True! (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Keep this in mind....if Hitler had let his generals run the war they would have won it.They did not want to fight the U.S. OR the U.S.S.R. Also without Hitlers interference the jet plane would have been put into production alot sooner and (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) the (...) I'm very suprised (almost shocked!) that you say this? Don't you know how many millions of Russians died during WWII??? [1] 25,568,000!!! These are the highest casualties in the entire war. What Bruce mentions below is also true. (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Cool....if you don't like it stay out.We like all other nations have our problems but I still wouldn't want to live any place else! (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Yeah, I'm not a big Stalin fan in any case, but it seems likely that goodly chunk of my ancestry was wiped out by his antics in the Ukraine. I hoped the ;^) would be a tip off, but, balancing that against my admission of ignorance, I can see (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) The British brought in Scots Pres(oh geez, I can't remember how to spell this)byterians at a much later date. The Catholic/Protestant thing is not really independent of British occupation (topmost quote above). One could typify it as centuries (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Russia and Germany were engaged in the greatest land battle in the history of the planet. The scope and devastation of it was truly appalling - it's what ground Germany up. Of course, neither of those two sides was out to "save" Europe, and (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Are we doing the right thing?

(...) My response to a wrong committed against me can only be in measured proportion to the wrong in question done to me. What I'm getting at, is that I can't morally punish a man for everything he's ever done - only the crime for which evidence has (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) That was cool, though--kind of like watching me have a debate with myself. Dave! (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact