 Off-Topic / Debate / 12440
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 22:03:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mladen Pejic writes:

I'm wondering if you really disagree with the Greg's implied stance about • the
role of the US staving off Germany during WWII.

I don't really get off on the US' role in the war, but my analysis does seem
to suggest that the Germans would have more substantially dominated Europe
(and by extension, the world) without the US to counter.  I once read an
analysis that if Hitler had kept us out of things long enough to capture
Gibraltar, he would have basically won (or some facsimile thereof).

I have to confess that my WWII knowledge is somewhat less than exhaustive.
However, while I don't deny the importance of the US role, it's tricky to
say (although Greg has now clarified that he was being sarcastic) that the
US "saved" Europe, which implies to me that the US was somehow
singlehandedly responsible for fending off the German army.
What I really want to know is where the heck was Russia during all this
Nazi stuff?  ;^)

I'm very suprised (almost shocked!) that you say this? Don't you know how many
millions of Russians died during WWII??? [1] 25,568,000!!! These are the
highest casualties in the entire war.

What Bruce mentions below is also true.

Other things:

The Battle of Stalingrad (and also one of the worst battles in the war) was a
*HUGE* turning point in the war.
The Soviet army reached Hitler's bunker first.
True but the U.S. could have but IKE agreeded to let the U.S.S.R take
Berlin(IKE knew it would have cost alot of lives to take so it was no
problem for him if the russians WANTED to take it.IE "glory")
The Battle of Kursk was one of the greatest tank battles in history (Soviets
won).
The Soviet army destroyed (i.e. completely) practically all the German armies
that had invaded the U.S.S.R.

Sorry, this post does sound very one sided, but not enough is said about the
U.S.S.R. and it's role in WWII. However, most Americans love
violent pro-American WWII movies which glorify the war, and the U.S.S.R. and
its allies were the "Evil Commies" (yes, that was sarcasm), so this should not
be very suprising. ;-)
Hee True!

If I made any errors in this post, please feel free to correct me.

Mladen, no-I'm-not-Russian, Pejic
http://www3.sympatico.ca/mladenpejic/

[1] http://www.stokesey.demon.co.uk/wwii/casualty.html

  Dave!

Russia and Germany were engaged in the greatest land battle in the history
of the planet.  The scope and devastation of it was truly appalling - it's
what ground Germany up.  Of course, neither of those two sides was out to
"save" Europe, and Stalin would have have been the greatest monster of all
time if not for Hitler.

Whether or not the U.S. "saved" Europe is kinda immaterial since Germany
declared war on the U.S., instead of us riding in on our gallant white
steed.  The question if Germany could have been defeated without the U.S. is
an interesting counterfactual.

Bruce