 Off-Topic / Debate / 12441
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 22:51:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mladen Pejic writes:
I'm very suprised (almost shocked!) that you say this? Don't you know how many
millions of Russians died during WWII??? [1] 25,568,000!!! These are the
highest casualties in the entire war

The only question is how many of these 25 million did Stalin off himself
(there should be a smiley here, but it is kind of hard to use one when
talking about this kinda of mega-death).

The Soviet army reached Hitler's bunker first.

That was a political deal.

The Battle of Kursk was one of the greatest tank battles in history (Soviets
won).

The Soviets had very good tanks, and lots of them.

The Soviet army destroyed (i.e. completely) practically all the German armies
that had invaded the U.S.S.R.

The death camps you don't hear about - if Hitler was a bigger monster, it
wasn't because Stalin didn't try. (another dubious smiley placement)

Sorry, this post does sound very one sided, but not enough is said about the
U.S.S.R. and it's role in WWII. However, most Americans love
violent pro-American WWII movies which glorify the war, and the U.S.S.R. and
its allies were the "Evil Commies" (yes, that was sarcasm), so this should not
be very suprising. ;-)

But they were the Evil Commies!  That doesn't mean the suffering and
sacrifice of the common person was any less real, of course, nor should
their efforts to subdue the common foe be belittled (it should be noted that
as much as we ignore the Russian efforts, they were even worse).

I should note the recent "Enemy at the Gates" (okay, I believe that was a
British production) on the movie front.