 Off-Topic / Debate / 12494
Re: Harry Potter getting left out
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:22:18 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GJFG33.8yn@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

It was a complex debate that raged for years before they allowed sunday trading.
I guess this was the compromise they worked out.

I doubt logic had much to do with it!

I doubt it did either, but that's not what I am asking. I could care less
(but not very much less...) about what the politicians were thinking.

My question is, do you *personally* think it's a good idea to have a law
that restricts when stores can be open, or one that allows large stores less
freedom than small ones, or that restricts what sorts of things can be sold
on what days of the week or times of the day?

I don't think there should be any restrictions on what can be sold when, or have anything to do with the size of the
store.

However, there clearly has to be some rules in place to protect workers, etc.
e.g. you should not be sacked for refusing to work on a Sunday. - though nowadays the working days would be part of the
contract before you went into the job. But if a store decided to open on Sundays (they all dont, and one of the major
department stores is only just going to open on Sundays) - it cant force existing workers to work on Sunday.

Given that, I am old enough to remember Sunday being something 'special' (I am not religious) in terms of being a family
day - visiting relatives, day in the country, etc.
Making everyone take some time off isnt a bad thing.

regards
lawrence