 Local / United Kingdom / 7147
Re: Harry Potter getting left out
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 17:09:45 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

The problem, if there is one, was created by bizarre rules about what could
and couldn't be sold on Sundays.  Whilst for many years, much long after the
US had changed, it was 'illegal' for most shops to trade on Sunday,

I'm not sure how consistent this was across the US, so such a comparison
might not be highly accurate.  I know that in 1985, most stores in Missouri
were closed on Sundays and that this wasn't true in California.  What time
frame are you talking about for the UK?

The Sunday Trading Act that allowed stores to open on Sunday in the UK was as
recent as 1994.

The U.S. Supreme Court held in 1961 that blue laws enacted by states
(and by extension municipalities, I presume) restricting various aspects of
Sunday commerce were constitutional.  I don't believe that that decision has
ever been overturned, but it doesn't really matter because most state and local
governments have either repealed the laws themselves, ignore them, or are in
small fundamentalist enclaves in which the citizens don't mind the laws (and
there are fewer and fewer of these left).

BTW Chik-Fil-A (sp?), a fast food chain, operates the only business at our
local mall that is closed on Sunday.  Is it any wonder you probably never heard
of them and I'm not sure how to spell their name?

Maggie C.