 Off-Topic / Debate / 12501
Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 14:11:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Bennett writes:

In what way is Railtrack an example of privatization?

Well that's what it the Government called it at the time!

Yes. But calling something X doesn't make it X. Unless you agree that
California recently "deregulated" its power industry.

  Just for clarification (since there's no way to defend CA's policy): can a
system be referred to as "deregulated" if regulations are removed; ie:
reduced regulation = deregulation, or is it necessary for *all* regulation
to be removed; ie: no regulation = deregulation?  Semantically, I can see an
argument in either direction, but I'm curious to see the general view.

     Dave!