 Off-Topic / Debate / 12500
Re: He didn't make a single racist comment..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:57:27 GMT

He didn't make a single racist comment, nor did he say anything that even
vaguely appeared racist.

I agree. No racism in Greg's comments that I saw. Not much Jingoism either.

  Greg has done a good job of elaborating upon his original point, as well
as clarifying his (self-admitted) imprecise wording.  However, some here
felt a distinctly racial tone to this snippet:

While I certainly see the problems inherent in a society that forces it's
population to work under virtual "slave labor" conditions, for me the botton
line is that products made in China are inevitably cheap, inferior crap.
from http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=32796

  I agree that there is no Chinese-"race"-equals-garbage sentiment implicit
in this quote, and I can infer (and Greg has clarified) that the statement
was intended to address issues of workmanship within the manufacturing
system of China.  However, since Greg went out of his way to identify "slave
labor" conditions inflicted upon workers in China as less important than the
dollar-driven bottom line, it is not too much of a stretch to identify the
intended message as "I don't care what happens to Chinese people, since
they're less important than the impact upon my wallet."  This interpretation
is certainly not much more of a stretch than people getting bent out of
shape over the use of the word "gypped."
  To his credit, Greg has identified the weaknesses and imprecisions in his
wording, and I accept that he truly meant no racist rhetoric in his post.
However, at first reading--and prior to subsequent clarification--his post
can indeed (though incorrectly) be seen as racially-biased.  It's only after
he elaborated his message that his true intent became clear.

     Dave!