 Off-Topic / Debate / 12491
Re: UK devolved government. (was Re: Harry Potter getting left out)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 22:43:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Everyone's said that.  Virtually every commentator I have seen,

You need to read a bit more widely, perhaps. And does the fact that
"everyone says so" make something actually "so" ??

  British or not, has stated that privatization of systems crucial
  to the functioning of the state--in effect, the reversal of the
  Attlee centralization and beyond--will spell disaster in terms
  of reliability if not finance (although the evidence for both is
  pretty good).  One only need look at Railtrack's dismal record
  of maintenance and response; it took *how* many days to get things
  up and running after last fall's weather fiasco?

In what way is Railtrack an example of privatization?

There's still one company controlling *all* the track that is just as
hobbled as ever, if not more so than BR was, it just supposedly has private
owners... I dunno about you, but I'd much rather own shares in the operating
companies, which do compete against each other after a fashion, than in the
big ugly monopoly that owns all the track and has no incentive to do
anything well.

Take a look at the cockamamie incentives in place. The original operating
companies AND their track should have been restored in some semblance so
that there are competitive lines, with the operating companies owning the
infrastructure. Just like Conrail was carved back up into essentially its
two major constituents by NS and CSX.

  Britrail always
  had enough people to do the job quickly, rather than compete with
  other, richer firms for limited private-sector resources.

At what cost?