 Off-Topic / Debate / 12503
Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:38:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Bennett writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Bennett writes:

In what way is Railtrack an example of privatization?

Well that's what it the Government called it at the time!

Yes. But calling something X doesn't make it X. Unless you agree that
California recently "deregulated" its power industry.

I don't have enough information on that. I'm interested because I have a
fair few friends who it affects and I've tried to follow the situation in
the Economist and other places but failed.

My point was as set out below - You appear to be saying that by making a
public asset private is not enough to privatize it, you also need to
introduce competition.  I think that's semantics.

I don't. I think it is plain wrong! From:
http://www.finance-glossary.com

==+==
The sale of government-owned equity in nationalised industries or other
commercial enterprises to private investors.

The sale may either transfer all the equity to private ownership, or the
government may retain some shares. Sometimes, governments will retain a
majority shareholding (a 'golden share') in order to be able to prevent the
company falling into the hands of an unwelcome bidder.
Privatisation's heyday was the mid-1980s and early 1990s under the
Conservative governments of the time. Many of the nationalised industries
were privatised (BT, British Gas, British Rail, electricity and water
companies) with the intention of improving efficiency, and increasing
private share ownership.
From the investor's point of view, privatised companies have tended to
perform well in the short term and poorly in the long term. John Kay of the
Financial Times studied 23 privatised companies and found that in the first
two years after privatisation their share prices performed 43% better than
the FTSE All-Share index, but after that performed worse by -39%. On average
they underperformed the index by -14%.
Many other European companies followed Britain's lead and have embarked on
privatisation programmes.
==+==

To say the UK railways is not private woned bcouse there is no competition
is a little odd. Could the same be said about Microsoft?

Scott A

A state owned
business was split up and the parts were either sold, floated or transferred
under franchises.  Of course you are right that Railtrack is a monopoly but
it's still 'private'.

(snippage)

Yes, I had personal experience of the operating companies. Lovely. Except
for certain plums like the train to Gatwick or Heathrow, you get one choice
and that is is.

Heathrow Express is an interesting case.  It shows what the real costs are
as it is a fully private company with no subsidy and always has been and it
charges £10 for a 15 minute journey.  If this was replicated elsewhere I
think the roads would lock up.

Bit about what previous structure to return to:
Early 19thC.

Right, I shall get back to you to cite why this didn't work then (How Lewis
Carroll was able to joke in 'The Hunting of the Snark':  'They threatened
its life with a railway share'!

AND their track should have been restored in some semblance so
that there are competitive lines, with the operating companies owning the
infrastructure. Just like Conrail was carved back up into essentially its
two major constituents by NS and CSX.

That would be better (much debate in the industry is about how to restore
the links at the wheel-rail interface so that safety can be better managed)
but not much, because the competition is not real, the lines are not close
enough to each other to properly compete (unless you count people moving
house to get a better train service which I doubt happens very much).
Rail's competitor is Road and that's how I think the industry should be, the
infrastructure should be government owned and run with the services
franchised with greater competition so the regulation could be of the
competition and not the price.

Well if you've rationalised away all the competing lines, maybe.

We pretty well have and 'we are where we are' but I'll deal with this later.

But in the
US we still have enough (freight) lines to get healthy competition in many
cases.

You lucky people!

I believe in competition except where there has to be only one set of
infrastructure to avoid environmental or other problems.  Roads, Railways
and Electricity, Gas and cable telecommunications transmission (not
generation or supply) are examples of this.  I am constantly astonished that
this is not only not self-evident but not even remotely recognized by so
many others.

I am not sure I am at all convinced of this and I've seen numerous studies
that argue that even "natural" monopolies can have competitive setups except
perhaps at the very last mile sections. Cable telecoms is a classic example.
*Everyone* is convinced that you should have only one in an area or city,
yet we have a few (not nearly enough, thanks to corrupt or inept governments
that won't allow competition) cities in the US that have several... guess
what? Better service, lower prices, more tax to the local munincipalities
and faster new features than the next town over where it's a monopoly.

Can you explain a little more?  As a resident in this town would I have two
or more sets of cables running past my house? (I'd be happy to see my cable
company get a competitive kick up the khyber as they are still refusing to
give me digital service because I want three decoders and they say that they
can't do more than two to a house as the signal degrades.  Hello! It's digital!)

Maybe in cable comms it could work but I do not want two sets of National
Grid pylons striding across the landscape, I'm happy to pay for the
privilege and I would be happy to legally prevent a company from building a
second one.

I think this boils down to: is it practical, affordable and environmentally
sustainable to have significantly more infrastructure capacity than you need
so that competition can happen.  In Cable transmission, maybe.  In
electricity transmission, no. In Railways (in Britain), no.

Psi

p.s. We're the only two discussing this, shall we knock it on the head, take
it to email, or do you expect Lindsay to come back?