 Local / United Kingdom / 7152
Re: Harry Potter getting left out
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 20:41:47 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:GJEqAn.K47@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
The Sunday Trading Act that allowed stores to open on Sunday in the UK was as recent as 1994.
   But I do recall that in London UK, there is still a restriction
   over opening times on weekends--something that was explained to me
   by Borders and the supermarkets that they could only be open past
   6pm Saturday if they didn't open on Sunday, or some other such weird
   algorithm.  That there's still a restriction on opening hours in
   *London* (of all places!) indicates the long arm of tradition.

Small shops can open 24x7
Large shops (over 280sqm) can only open 6 hours on Sunday - any 6 hours between 10am and 6pm.

Dont know anything about a rule that says you cant open on Sunday if you open after 6 on saturday
Plenty of shops stay open late on Saturday, and still open on Sunday.
Large supermarkets usually stay open until 10pm on Saturday.

   No, what you mention up there rings a bell.  I had thought there
   was some tie to Saturday's hours as well, but perhaps not.

   I wonder how long it will take the GLA to fix *that*.  And has
   PPP been tanked yet?!?  I hope so.  Britain doesn't need another
   Railtrack running the Underground.

   best

   LFB