 Off-Topic / Debate / 12525
Re: Harry Potter getting left out
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 00:48:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

It was a complex debate that raged for years before they allowed sunday • trading.
I guess this was the compromise they worked out.

I doubt logic had much to do with it!

I doubt it did either, but that's not what I am asking. I could care less
(but not very much less...) about what the politicians were thinking.

My question is, do you *personally* think it's a good idea to have a law
that restricts when stores can be open, or one that allows large stores less
freedom than small ones, or that restricts what sorts of things can be sold
on what days of the week or times of the day?

I totally disagree with such regulation. I grew up in Tasmania, Australia,
where medium to large stores (forget the numbers but about >30 employees)
aren't allowed to open past 12 noon Saturday, except for special cases such a
visits by large ships carrying lots of cashed-up sailors / passengers.

They say it's to protect the smaller retail businesses from the large chain
stores.

I've sinced moved to Victoria (Australia) where no such laws exist, and I still
go down to the corner store often, because it's closer, and mostly has what I'm
after. (It also has a place to tie up my dog, which they dont have at the
supermarket).

But I still welcome the ability to go elsewhere on the weekend if the corner
store doesnt have what I need (like Lego!). Sure some (many?) smaller shops
don't survive, but many still do. Maybe it's just Darwin's theory applied to
retailing???

One big difference with Tasmania is that it's an island state with a total
population of around 500K. This makes it a bit different than your average
state. But I still don't think such restrictive laws are justified.

ROSCO