 Off-Topic / Debate / 12609
Re: Harry Potter getting left out
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:58:25 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

My question is, do you *personally* think it's a good idea to have a law
that restricts when stores can be open, or one that allows large stores less
freedom than small ones, or that restricts what sorts of things can be sold
on what days of the week or times of the day?

I'm all for shops opening whenever they feel like it, the local city centre Tesco
here has just started opening 24 hours a day and it is an extremely useful facility,
especially for those of us who sometimes work odd hours. A chat with one of the
checkout ladies established that no staff are being required to work on the night
shift, and that indeed they had more than enough volunteers to do so.

I remember the old days when shops shut on Sundays, every lunchtime, after 5.30pm,
and Wednesday afternoon, and it was a total nightmare! You couldn't get a Mars Bar
for toffee. I always thought that was a crazy way to do business... were these
people allergic to making money or something?

At least in Scotland this all changed, I *think* around the early Eighties although
it may have been earlier, with the introduction of the famous Pakistani owned
"corner shop", which usually stayed open when all the rest were shut. It seemed like
the owners of these business were interested in working harder to make a profit and
as a result the phenomenon proliferated. The ubiquitous "all night garage" also
appeared (at least in my memory) sometime in the Eighties as well.

The funny thing about this is that Scotland had had Sunday trading for years before
England, and I was never sure why. Anyone any ideas? The English licencing laws
always seemed to be that little bit backwards as well.

Jennifer