 Off-Topic / Debate / 12610
Re: Evil, attack on freedom and democracy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:43:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tore Eriksson writes:
In the middle of my summer vacation, I heard that the American company that
has just recently purchased the production plant I'm working in, has decided
to shut it down. 508 people will lose their jobs, and I am of course one of
them. At the same time, they are building a new plant in Poland, offering
6000 people a job. The company denies any connection, but we have been
shipping our equipment to Poland for months, and we have a lot of stuff
labelled "To Poland".

Not all, but several units at our plant is making positive financial result,
despite the decline of orders. That's not good enough for the stock holders.
More! More! More! they demand. So they move the production to Poland. Why
pay for social welfare, decent working conditions, environmental
responsibility, retirement funds, at least three months notice to quit and
other rights when you can hire a slave in Poland and grant him/her no rights
at all. If she gets pregnant - there's the door, bye!

If the profit margins aren't still good enough, then move to China and use
children in chains!

[Snip: bible interpretation equating the WTC as symbol of greed]

As clear as I see it after two nights without sleep - :o) - the root to the
evil that struck USA is to be found inside the own country. But with the
attitude: we are strong, we will fight back, revenge, it looks dark...

Wow, normally I try to stay away from .debate, but I feel compelled to
answer this one.

Tore, I'm sorry about your personal situation, but you need to take a
step back, calm down, and think about things more clearly.  You're
transfering your anger from your true opponents to a larger, easier to
identify target.  You need to identify the true opponents in your
personal struggle and concentrate on them.  Perhaps you should look at
the original management who sold your company to the vultures for no
doubt a tidy profit.  Where were they from?  Think about what you can
do to prevent this from happening in the future.  Put the Bible down
and think for yourself.  I'm sure you have the freedom to do just
that.

By the way, yours is not a problem exclusive to American companies.
It happens everywhere, with corporations of all nationalities. For
example, a well known Euorpean company recently eliminated their
plastic brick toy manufacturing facility a few miles down the road
from me in the USA and opened new manufacturing plants elsewhere
(China?) where it's most likely cheaper.  Yet I seriously doubt if
anyone dislocated from that plant would use it as an excuse to justify
10,000 people brutally murdered, anywhere on the planet.

And for what's it's worth, once upon a time I myself discovered I was
laid off when returning from a summer vacation.  Change happens.  It's
not always good, so it's up to you to make something good out of it.
That's life.  Get used to it, but take actions to make it better, for
yourself and others.  I hope that's what happens here.

Don