 Off-Topic / Debate / 12446
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 23:47:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Leach writes:

What I really want to know is where the heck was Russia during all this
Nazi stuff?  ;^)

Russia and Germany were engaged in the greatest land battle in the history
of the planet.  The scope and devastation of it was truly appalling - it's
what ground Germany up.  Of course, neither of those two sides was out to
"save" Europe, and Stalin would have have been the greatest monster of all
time if not for Hitler.

Yeah, I'm not a big Stalin fan in any case, but it seems likely that
goodly chunk of my ancestry was wiped out by his antics in the Ukraine.
I hoped the ;^) would be a tip off, but, balancing that against my
admission of ignorance, I can see why you thought my question was sincere!
At this point I'm simply parroting what I overheard in a conversation
between two coworkers, but they expressed a view that the tide of WWII might
have gone differently if the winter had been less severe.

   General Winter, the finest leader of the Russian Army!
   Well, him and that Zhukov chap.  ;)

Keep this in mind....if Hitler had let his generals run the war they would
have won it.They did not want to fight the U.S. OR the U.S.S.R. Also without
Hitlers interference the jet plane would have been put into production alot
sooner and would have wiped our bombers/fighters from the sky and without
air support our troops would have had made little difference.

   If Hitler's generals had run the war, Hitler couldn't have
   been Hitler.  What happened was as much doctrine as it was
   individuals--it's like any counterfactual, the material
   possibilities aren't necessarily the same as the ideological
   ones.

   BTW, The idea that Hitler's interference somehow screwed up the
   jet project is really untrue.  The Me-262 (and the He-280
   before it) had serious airframe issues that took until 1944
   to sort out.  What's more, the Jumo 004 engines weren't ready
   until then anyways.  Hitler was an annoyance, but it was the
   technical issues that really delayed the arrival of operational
   jet fighters.  Even with them operational, the average service
   life of an engine was only 10 hours' flying--after that they
   tended to overheat and catch fire or eat themselves. (A really
   nasty tendency...catch a bit of fan blade in the head there,
   mister pilot?)  All warring nations had these troubles, and all
   had jet aircraft on the drawing board as early as 1942.

   Even with the Me-262 in the air, a lot of US and British pilots
   could shoot them down--even when there were talented pilots at
   the jet's controls--because of their superior maneuverability.
   The real value of the 262 was that it could scream out of nowhere,
   make a pass, and then vanish, turn around safely, and make another.
   Luftwaffe pilots were flying them in dogfights, which was really
   really stupid.

   But Hitler wanted that plane.  True, he did envision it first as
   a bomber, but if he could have had his Bomber 262 in 1942, he
   would have loved it.

   best

   LFB