 Off-Topic / Debate / 12477
Re: Invasion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 02:02:52 GMT

The destruction of Vukovar, yes. See, I really did need reminding. There was
the shelling of Dubrovnik, too. But it is casting a bit far back to explain the
reaction of 1999. Croatia's unilateral secession had yet to be recognized at
the time of that particular invasion.

I do not agree that the war was successful in expelling Milosevic since he
remained in office another year. Militarily, there is dispute as to the success
of the war, too. What if it is true that a B2 was downed?

Constantine

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Constantine Hannaher writes:
(snipped)
I need a little reminding as to who, what, or where was specifically invaded • by
Milosevic (or indeed, by Yugoslavia at all) that required a US reaction of
bombing, invasion, and dismemberment.

Try "Slavonia", in Eastern Croatia. I think it was invaded by the army of
the Yugoslav Federation in 1991. And the US did not *want* to invade
Yugoslavia because the cost in GIs would have been too high (the Balkans are
very different from the Gulf as a battlefield). So instead they crippled the
country with bombs trying to force Milosevic out - quite successfully, I
must say.
Of course, one can interpret "invasion" as revoking all autonomy in Kosovo
and sending in the army as well... but I do not agree with that.

Pedro