 Off-Topic / Debate / 12474
Re: Invasion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 20:48:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Constantine Hannaher writes:
(snipped)
I need a little reminding as to who, what, or where was specifically invaded by
Milosevic (or indeed, by Yugoslavia at all) that required a US reaction of
bombing, invasion, and dismemberment.

Try "Slavonia", in Eastern Croatia. I think it was invaded by the army of
the Yugoslav Federation in 1991. And the US did not *want* to invade
Yugoslavia because the cost in GIs would have been too high (the Balkans are
very different from the Gulf as a battlefield). So instead they crippled the
country with bombs trying to force Milosevic out - quite successfully, I
must say.
Of course, one can interpret "invasion" as revoking all autonomy in Kosovo
and sending in the army as well... but I do not agree with that.

Pedro