 Off-Topic / Debate / 12487
Re: Invasion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 21:07:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Constantine Hannaher writes:
The destruction of Vukovar, yes. See, I really did need reminding. There was
the shelling of Dubrovnik, too. But it is casting a bit far back to explain the
reaction of 1999. Croatia's unilateral secession had yet to be recognized at
the time of that particular invasion.

To be accurate, and correcting myself, that was not really an "invasion", it
was more like a "refuse to leave": those military units were manned
essentially by serbs but were based on Croatia. Hard to define as a
situation... but easy to read politically - an independance war.

I do not agree that the war was successful in expelling Milosevic since he
remained in office another year. Militarily, there is dispute as to the success
of the war, too. What if it is true that a B2 was downed?

Oh, but it was successful... the war destroyed the Yugoslav economy, already
crippled by sanctions, and led the people to a state of revolt. The fear of
reprisals from the regime is diminished in face of unbearable living
conditions, so it wasn't very dangerous to join the opposition any longer.
This was essential: it *had* to be an "inside" revolt to seize power, rather
than a NATO invasion. Russia would not tolerate a foreign invasion of their
balkanic ally.
One thing that made me wonder about the spontaneity (spelling?) of the
actual revolt was the fact that in the parliament siege only *men* were
engaged... while on other rebellions women have demonstrated on the streets
along with men. That is odd, to say the least.
In my oppinion, it was only the final push to move Milosevic out - paid by
western nations. Other less successful attempt took place in 1997 (?), when
the people came to the street for months with whistles. But western support
did not appear then...
Besides, look what happened just hours after the bloke was taken to The
Hague: the western nations issued a loan/donation to the yugoslav government
of a few billion dollars! "Uh, no relation exists" was said by European
politicians. Sure.
Of course, he did very bad things and should face court for that. But the
way he was forced out wasn't very correct - that is my sole concern: where
and when will it happen again? And WHY? This time it was a dictator, but
will it be a dictator next time it happens?

And I don't know about any B2 being downed...
They only showed a downed F117 on TV, but the next generation of stealth
planes is already being developed, so the secrecy surrounding the plane is
no longer required. No problem here - at least nothing that will make the
generals sleep less at night!
:-)

Pedro