 Off-Topic / Debate / 12466
Re: LEGO Made in China & Charges of Racism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 04:29:59 GMT

   Hey David,

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Lukens writes:
Greg Perry wrote:
LFB - thanks for the further validation that my original posting was not
guilty of the charges that others were so quick to hurl at it.  As it so
typical with the people who screech "Racism!" and "Bigot!" (and living here
in Richmond, Virginia I get to hear plenty of that) there's not going to be
any follow up that provides proof of their charges.  For people like this it
seems that once they invoke the "R-Word" that's the end of the discussion or
argument.  In their minds they've proven their point and anyone who further
questions is, well they're racists too!

   Yeah.  That's why once I've made a charge, if it's contested, I'll
   continue on (or apologize if I may have been wrong).  Throwing
   things around flippantly like that will eventually destroy their
   meaning.

   I blame television.  :)
   Actually, I blame our willingness to speak the unspeakable too
   readily that can be traced back to Freud's psychoanalytical methods,
   but that's another rant.

   (Hey, maybe lugnet.off-topic.rant.pointless.jabber.jabber.jabber?)

Welcome to The United States of the Offended.

For an interesting read try the "Bill of No Rights".  One idea I always liked
from it was that you do not have the right to be not offended.

   Do you have a URL for a mirror of that?  I read it once and
   then forgot to archive the darn thing.

   thanks,

   LFB