 Off-Topic / Debate / 12458
Re: LEGO Made in China & Charges of Racism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 13:43:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  Nah.  I think it's just Moon Madness (not a value statement about
  the moon, calm down everyone!  ;) )--or maybe September Stress--
  that's getting everyone in a tizzy.  I know it's gotten the best
  of me a few times in the last week (maybe here too, once).
  I don't know, your original post didn't send up any of my flags,
  and I'm usually the touchiest mine-shaft canary of all on such
  things.

LFB - thanks for the further validation that my original posting was not
guilty of the charges that others were so quick to hurl at it.  As it so
typical with the people who screech "Racism!" and "Bigot!" (and living here
in Richmond, Virginia I get to hear plenty of that) there's not going to be
any follow up that provides proof of their charges.  For people like this it
seems that once they invoke the "R-Word" that's the end of the discussion or
argument.  In their minds they've proven their point and anyone who further
questions is, well they're racists too!

In a complete moment of serendipity my local newspaper today had a column
from one of my favorite writers, Thomas Sowell, in which he discuss people
who are so quick to yell "Racism!".  The article is entitled "The Magic
Word" and for anyone who's interested it can currently be found at the
following link:

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell1.asp

For anyone looking at this after this date (9/7/01) who may not find the
article still on this page there is a link at the bottom of the page for The
Thomas Sowell Archives.  I assume this current article will shortly move there.

I'm sure most folks are tired of this discussion and ready to move on (or
back) to our regularly scheduled TLC bashing.  I am too, and so this will
probably be my last post in this thread.  That is unless someone (you know
who you are) actually decides to respond to my request/demand for a more
detailed explanation of why I'm a racist and a bigot because I questioned
whether LEGO made in China would be of a lower quality.

Greg