 Off-Topic / Debate / 12453
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 02:17:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Bennett writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shaun Sullivan writes:

Well, now I've started I may as well get fully involved in .debate!

   Muuhahahahaha, etc etc :)

You may like to consider separating British Military presence (which began
in the early 1970's at the request of the Catholic community to protect them
from Protestant violence) from Cultural presence of those from the British
Isles which began in the 1300s when Scottish tribes invaded Ulster (at which
time Great Britain did not exist and all the protagonists were recently
Christianised Celts (Protestantism not existing at the time)).  I suggest
Dave may have meant the former.

   This is extremely interesting!  My segment of British/Irish
   history really doesn't go back past the Boyne, so this is a
   very cloudy period in my knowledge.  Were these Scots who
   invaded in the 14th-C. descended from the original Irish?
   I know that Gaelic as a language moved from Ireland to the
   north of Scotland, but why were there invasions the other way?
   And would the Irish have recognized the Scots as so foreign?

   Man, I have to find more free time to read on late-medieval
   history.  Maybe once I retire... %S  Anyways, if you have any
   good titles to recommend I'd appreciate hearing about them!

   best

   LFB