 Robotics / 23349
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:22:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:
Would it be possible to get a closeup shot of the conveyor, and the linkarm
assembly it feeds into with all those gears?

Done. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=112880

What I'd really like to know is how you interleaved the linkarms (which look
suspiciously like 3-arm rotor blade pieces to me) so that they all shift
the marbles across without jamming up.

On each axle I used four 3-long linkarms. The link arms are positioned in such a
way that they never rub against eachother. I have made another link-arm passer
that uses one 4-long linkarm per axle. The linkarms do rub slightly as they pass
but I've been able to adjust it so that it does not catch.

Do you think this assembly could be adapted to handle soccer balls and
input/output feeds?

I did a quick test and they soccer balls do work. Overall I think soccer balls
are easier to use than marbles. I have spent many hours finding and sorting
marbles that have a diameter that is less than a 2x2 brick...but marbles have
nicer weight and colour.

Roy