 Robotics / 23298
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 05:33:31 GMT

"Steve Hassenplug" <Steve@TeamHassenplug.org> wrote:

Actually, it's pretty interesting, if you consider how complex making a
pair of
turns really is.  If you make a 90 degree right hand turn on a 32x32
baseplate, the
module must output right next to it's own input.  But, bins on a left-hand
turn are
on opposite corners of the plate.

Why not universalize the standard so that a module that can turn must be
configurable to turn either to the left or the right?  A few ways this could
be done are movable output stages, EG a sliding or drop-in output that can
be placed where needed.

Again, a big problem comes when one of the turns don't "work".  So, if you
have
exactly four turns (two right, two left) and one doesn't work, then none
of them can
be used.

Have the standard changed so that a module that can turn must also accept a
feed from the back if needed.

In any case, there's not much you can do on two modules that you can't do
on one,
more complex module.  For example, the splitter/combiner could be built as
one
module.

Question on the splitter/combiner modules, will there be rules for what
modules can be placed before/after them?  Obviously it's not going to be
much use if someone builds a mechanical feeder that doesn't care what balls
it passes on unless there's a splitter/combiner module ahead of it, and not
one behind it.

Even things like my "train" can be laid out as "one module".  By switching
the
direction of the train, instead of taking balls back to the beginning, it
can just
carry them and deliver them to the next module downstream.

The only problem I can see there is that a module which expects the train
will have to be equipped with a holding crate which can hold a certain
number of balls, if there are going to be multiple pickup and delivery
points, in case a train is overfilled for some reason.

One challenge would be to make a module that can be configured as a
straight
pass-through OR a turn.

That's not so much a challenge as a necessity.  If all modules had standard
left-feed and straight-feed rules to obey, you could theoretically make any
module into a turn module without any trouble at all, as per my earlier
statement above.

At this point, we're not interested in making the standard more complex,
and
increasing the difficulty of setting it up, when it really doesn't add any
functionality to the whole contraption.

Well, perhaps some things need more complexity, although I would agree a
standard anyone can use is preferable.  The big challenge is getting the
degree of complexity as best you can for all parties which will be involved.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde