 Robotics / 23285
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 22:09:09 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> wrote:
Steve Baker writes:
Another thought I had was that the organisers might want to consider
building a stage that has one input hopper and TWO outputs that sends
balls alternately to the two places.

Yes!  Since the soccer and basket balls are the same physical size,
there is no reason why a module can't work with both.  There is also
no reason why a module couldn't sort soccer balls out one side, and
basketballs out another.

To that end, you need a specification for a "Y" module, which has two
output faces.  Also for a module which has two input faces!  And a
module which is a 90-turning corner and a 270-turning corner.  It's
pretty obvious what's needed for them; it just needs to be written down.

I made a device that sends balls alternately down two chutes.

Balls enter through a 2x2 hole in the top, onto the centre of a 7L studless
beam, set up as a see-saw.

Which ever way a ball goes, it drops onto another, longer, see-saw that tilts
the first see-saw the other way to send the next ball down the other chute.
Balls exit though 2x2 holes in the bottom at each side.

I used two more studless beams (liftarms work well too) crossed over to do the
reversing links between the see-saws.

This contraption is about 13 bricks high and 4L deep, but could be made smaller
in height.  Its advantage it that it doesn't need a motor.  The minimum height
is dictated by the need for the energy from a ball dropping nto the lower
see-saw being more than enough to tilt both see-saws.

Of course this device won't sort balls by colour, but that's a slow process.
Also, soccer balls have black and white bits so you can't predict which bit a
light sensor will see, and hence whether the reading from a soccer ball will be
greater or less than the reading from a basketball.

I used the see-saw device with a vertical ball lifter, based on transmission
chain with a few track links.  It was possible to over-run the see-saw device
with too many balls, so that two went the same way, but the through-put had to
be quite fast before that happened.

A module with 2 input faces would probably be a hopper with 2 chutes entering
it.  The greatest problem I've had with ball contraptions is balls clogging in
the hopper - sometimes you need an agitator like they use in factories.

Mark