 Trains / 24073
Re: The Great Ball Contraption 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:36:05 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
(snip)
Other info on the train:  It's controlled by an RCX.
(snip)

Nevermind the controls, how'd you build the hopper? ;-)

Alright, alright...  :)

I really like your
solution, with the rotating arm that unloads it, creating an auto-reset for the
hopper. I've been frustrated several times trying to build something like this
and would love additional construction details on the hopper car. Where's the
pivot point? How's it mounted?

More photos and etceteras, please!

I originally planned to have the "dump arm" activate when the train moved
forward/back into the station.  But, I found it took too much pressure to get it to
dump.  (the train had to be going fast)  Not sure if my explaination is clear, but
that's why the car is not symetrical.  The black area in the right of this picture:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/Train/p1200048.jpg

was for a 90 degree gear.

As you've seen, I replaced that with an arm that pushes down, putting very little
sideways pressure on the car:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/Train/p1200059.jpg

The pivot is located slightly off center, so when the dump arm isn't pressed, it
falls back to rest on some tiles (on one side)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/Train/p1200055.jpg

I also wanted to keep the pivot low enough, so the top of the hopper would act as a
ramp, and my unloading ramp didn't need to be right against the track:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/Train/p1200052.jpg

Here's another shot of where the pivot is located:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/Train/p1200057.jpg

And it also shows the liftarm use to keep it from dumping too far.

The only problem with this car is the plates on the bottom start to come loose after
extended dumping of soccer balls.  Usually, just enough to prevent dumping.  But,
it's not a big enough problem to warrant rebuilding.  It really takes a while for
them to work loose

Here's all the pictures: (when moderated)

This car will hold almost 60 soccer balls.

If that's not enough text or pictures, just ask for more...

Steve