 Robotics / 23288
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:53:03 GMT

"Brian Davis" <brdavis@iusb.edu> wrote in message
news:IA02Dv.1DH7@lugnet.com...
  Use your imagination! One of the reasons Steve included my (huge, poorly
spelled, not-yet-ready-for-primetime) list was to show the options that
just a
few people could come up with... and there's several of the lift
mechanisms in
the video that are not in my list*, so long as it is, it is hardly
complete!

Hmm I must have missed that list post.  I am kind of working on a
contraption, but it's main aim is to sort LEGO bricks, which are a lot less
likely to slide than soccer balls are.  :)  It may require some form of
Mindstorms help, along with a visual recognition system, but I am going to
see if I can get it to sort mechanically or with sensors first.  It should
be fairly useful for sorting out basic brick sizes from one another, at any
rate, if I can get a workable prototype built.

  Many of us used chain links and tread links to form some sort of lift or
conveyor, but no two people came up with the same system. The downside of
this
method is that LEGO chain links (& especially tread links) tend to be
uncommon.
At the other extreme, I've built one module that lifts balls at around 2-3
bps,
but uses only system bricks and slopes with the exception of 1 technic
beam, an
axle, a technic plate or two, & the gears used to drive the system.

Yes, Rebelscum has a very interesting set shown:  7258 Wookiee Attack.  It's
an Episode III set, so there is no telling what will happen if the sets
contain what the pic shows of these sets.  Technic Link Tread*, if I am
reading that preview pic right.  I imagine it would be popular if that's
really the case - I know I am going to try and get a lot of them myself if
it really does have the Technic Link Tread. ;)

  For other ideas, check out SMART's Crate Contraption... or do a
Brickshelf
search on the word "marble" (the Rolling Ball Clock is an example here)...
or do
a Google search for "rolling ball machines" or sculptures. There is a HUGE
amount of inspiration out there for this type of thing.

Wonderful, if I can find some spare time in between my current project and
playing a favourite old game of mine, I might just do that.  ;-)

*about that list. I really can spell better than that.

*About the Technic Link Tread, that's the Bricklink catalog reference for
it.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde