 Robotics / 23442
Re: The Great Ball Contraption V3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:25:59 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In an attempt to provide Technic & Mindstorms builders the same cooperative
building opportunity that's available to Moonbase, Castle, and Town/Train
builders at Brickfest, we present to you: The Great Ball Contraption.

When it's assembled at Brickfest '05 (DC), The Great Ball Contraption will be
made up of many modules by builders from all over the country, any beyond.

This device will be a combination of Rube Goldberg and the Bucket Brigade,
passing soccer balls from one module to the next, where they will be pushed,
pulled, lifted, flipped, shot, rolled, dropped, etc...  before being passed
again.

To learn more, check out the web site:
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/

ho hum.  another day, another Great Ball Contraption.

In our latest gathering, Tom invited us to his house.  Turns out, we have more
ball contraptions than Tom has table space in his basement.

So, we moved the tables, and set-up on the floor.  Of course the next problem
was that I couldn't fit the whole contraption in one picture.

So, here's two:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/GBC3/p1290087.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/GBC3/p1290088.jpg

I have some video, but it appears brickshelf is blocking all video.

It's very interesting to note that all the modules conform to the spec.  One of
the modules used to turn the stream has a movable input bin.  The other has an
input bin set far enough out that a module can be placed behind it.

The "hot new module" for this gathering was John's Spybot controlled paddle
wheel.  The wheel was driven from the Spybot, through a differential.  If the
wheel got stuck, the differential would turn, releasing the touch sensor on the
Spybot.  The Spybot would run the motor backward for 1 second, then continue
forward.

Steve