 Robotics / 23260
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:20:21 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, David Koudys wrote:
To clarify--are we allowed to use 2 'module spaces' if
we want?

The standard doesn't explain this very well, because I'm really not sure how to
write it.

A module can be any size, but the input and output should be on opposite sides, with
the front of the input being no more than 32 studs from the back of the module, and
on the left side.

We could allow modules to make turns of different types, but then setting up the
whole contraption will be very complex.

Right now, the goal is to have one long line of modules.  In the video, one of the
modules can be set-up as either a straight module, or a 90 degree turn, and another
is just dumping into the side.  However all modules must be built so they can
connect in a straight line.

We suggest 32 or 48 stud widths, as that's the standard baseplates that people
are likely (not required!) to use, but it's a suggestion only.

This blue "module" is a good example of a non-standard size:

It's a simple module built by a 12 yr old.

You'll notice the "in" box is very shallow.  It will most likely not hold 30 balls.
However, because of the flexibility of the contraption (any two modules can be
switched) it can easily be placed after a module that has a constant output, and
therefore doesn't have to deal with large "batch" outputs.

As long as your module fits the in & out rules, it should work.

Steve