 Robotics / 23305
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:09:41 GMT

news-gateway@lugnet.com wrote on 01/10/2005 10:01:48 AM:

Is there something that a module builder can not do because the
standard is too simple?

Not to oversimplify, but I mean if the 'standard' for the ball
contraption is 32
studs from the front of the hopper to the back edge of the
baseplate, and thus I
personally would probably grab a 32 x 32 stud baseplate to build on, • thus the
'in' hopper would be in the bottom left hand corner anyway, wouldn'tmy • module,
by its very nature, be able to be placed 'in line' with the other ones, • or 90
degrees, placing the hopper in the same location?

That assumes that there is nothing in front of the hopper.  There is
nothing to say that you are limited to a module 32 studs deep.  If you
choose to build it that way, great, but there is nothing that says you
can't build a 3-foot-deep module (and according to the spec, that *should*
be longer than deep, so it would have to be at *least* 3 feet long!).  In
that case, it could not turn the corner as you've described.

However, to me, that's even more reason to leave the spec alone.  You have
described a simple way to make a spec-compliant module that makes right
corners.  Therefore, there is no reason to define corner pieces!  They're
already defined!  :)

Tim Massey