 Robotics / 23254
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:58:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Antonishen wrote:

Does this mean the IN basket can have any type of
internals/mechanicals, so long as the entry point is
10x10 with an 8x8 opening located 10 bricks off the ground,
having a capacity of 30 balls, and being able to flush
those said thirty balls in 30 seconds?

   Yep. The IN basket is really more of a "target zone" - the upstream module
should drop the balls into your IN basket zone (really, the 8x8 center section)
from a height of at least 10 bricks (no specified upper limit, so when building
your module it might be a good idea to keep the column above your IN basket
clear of structure).
   The source for this is the SMART folks Crate Contraption - that standard
makes it possible (we hope) for a backward-compatible Type II standard which
allows filling and moving crates. Note that this type of module would work in a
Type I standard as well, but it makes each module using/moving such crates
responsible for dumping their own into the next module downstream.

I'm also guessing that the IN hopper must always be there :)

   Catching/corraling all these dang soccer balls is already going to be tough
enough. Yes, you should have an input hopper.
   As to the throughput rate standard, modules really should be able to handle
either a nearly continuous feed, or "episodic" feeds of around 30 balls without
choking, and still maintain the 1 bps (ball per second) minimum rate. Yes,
minimum - you could have a module that can process and handoff balls much faster
than that, and it shouldn't swamp the downstream module, because the line as a
whole will be regulated by a "timing module" at the start.

--
Brian Davis