 Robotics / 23274
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 13:20:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

I don't quite understand how his module
managed to fling the ball out instead
of pushing or dropping it.

   As I recall (I was not present, but talked with Steve about it) that module
had problems with jamming - I think what you see in the video is a single ball
partially jamming the mechanism and being kicked out hard. That particular
module used rotating liftarms (the ones with three blades) to move the ball up
the ramp (similar, I'd imagine, to the tri-blade liftarm lift that SMART has
used).

One thing I'd also like to see is
requirements for typical modules, there
are obviously several different pickup
and delivery methods in the modules
shown in the video, but there doesn't
seem to be an easy way to guess or
estimate what one would need for a
typical module parts-wise.

   Use your imagination! One of the reasons Steve included my (huge, poorly
spelled, not-yet-ready-for-primetime) list was to show the options that just a
few people could come up with... and there's several of the lift mechanisms in
the video that are not in my list*, so long as it is, it is hardly complete!

   Many of us used chain links and tread links to form some sort of lift or
conveyor, but no two people came up with the same system. The downside of this
method is that LEGO chain links (& especially tread links) tend to be uncommon.
At the other extreme, I've built one module that lifts balls at around 2-3 bps,
but uses only system bricks and slopes with the exception of 1 technic beam, an
axle, a technic plate or two, & the gears used to drive the system.

   For other ideas, check out SMART's Crate Contraption... or do a Brickshelf
search on the word "marble" (the Rolling Ball Clock is an example here)... or do
a Google search for "rolling ball machines" or sculptures. There is a HUGE
amount of inspiration out there for this type of thing.

*about that list. I really can spell better than that.

--
Brian Davis