 Robotics / 23286
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 23:56:22 GMT

Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> wrote on 01/09/2005 04:20:10 PM:

To that end, you need a specification for a "Y" module, which has two
output faces.  Also for a module which has two input faces!  And a
module which is a 90-turning corner and a 270-turning corner.  It's
pretty obvious what's needed for them; it just needs to be written down.

Or not:  leave the standard as it is (except for specifying that the space
above the input belongs to the previous module), and have the organizers
build (or specificially request) out-of-spec modules to accomplish this.

That way, you don't have to worry about too many Y's and not enough
straight pieces!  :)

That was something I saw with the Moonbase specification.  A *lot* of the
samples they showed had just a single connection to their neighbor.  Maybe
nobody wanted to build "boring" straight-through pieces.  They also talked
about making modules configurable.  But configurable in that context was
easy:  a few simple pieces of non-moving Lego bolted on as necessary.

Here we're talking about moving, intelligent systems that I'm sure make a
number of assumptions that will not be easy to reconfigure on the fly.
Hence, having a specification that allows those assumptions be made with a
minimum of fuss seems like a strong point, not something that needs
adjustment...

Tim Massey