 Robotics / 23386
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:24:07 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Lane wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

I'm not exactly sure how many "teeth" = 1 stud, but I know it's not a whole
number.

It's exactly 2.5. 10 teeth on a gear rack, divided by 4.

Steve

I'm using two upside-down 1x16 TECHNIC beams to straddle 24-tooth gears on each
end (see my great ASCII art below, top-down view, not to scale). I might not
even need tension in the chain at all; the tread links slide on the flat bottom
part of the beams, and that seems to work fine. I haven't yet built a support
structure to test the chain for real.

Well, my lift for loading the train car uses both chain links, and tracks.  Each
track has a 1x4 tile on it, and the balls roll up.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/GBC2/p1160046.jpg

That's close to what John did on his roller coaster:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/05johnrollercoaster.jpg

This red module: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/10stevechainlift.jpg

uses a pair of axle joiners: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6536 with some #3
axles.  Brian came up with this, and it works very well.