 Robotics / 23387
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:30:04 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jordan Bradford wrote:
   In lugnet.robotics, Steve Lane wrote:
   In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

   I’m not exactly sure how many “teeth” = 1 stud, but I know it’s not a whole number.

It’s exactly 2.5. 10 teeth on a gear rack, divided by 4.

I’m using two upside-down 1x16 TECHNIC beams to straddle 24-tooth gears on each end (see my great ASCII art below, top-down view, not to scale). I might not even need tension in the chain at all; the tread links slide on the flat bottom part of the beams, and that seems to work fine. I haven’t yet built a support structure to test the chain for real.

I have just placed wheels regularly spaced along my chain to support it.

My “buckets” are simple and work pretty well, even at steep angles. Every fourth tread link has a 1x4 plate on it, and on each plate are two of those 2x2 right-angle plates making a squarish area for the ball to rest in. Again, some beautiful ASCII art:
Step 1:
  _______
 |_______|  <- that's a 1x4 plate

Step 2:

  _     _
 | |_ _| |
 |___|___|  <- those are right-angle plates
What other bucket designs do people have?

Mine are similar, but use a 1x3 plate with a 1x1 plate with tooth on each end, at a slight angle, and another 1x3 plate on top. I was finding that even with an accurate feeder, they were occasionally bouncing over the side when I used 1x2 plates on each end.

ROSCO