 Robotics / 23255
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:10:25 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes wrote:

Or someone who owns a soccer ball could measure
it and publish the size.

   Well, it's LEGO - it's just a tad smaller than 2 studs in diameter. If you've
got a marble or wooden ball that will roll between two walls two studs apart
(clearance about 1.5 mm on each side) you've got the size. The only real problem
is weight. Regular (glass) marbles are much denser than ABS (how does wood
compare?), so weight-activated devices (tipping platforms, counterweights) may
be tough.
   Another option is the LEGO basketballs - we chose soccer balls because, well,
Steve might have a few extra <cough>. But the basketballs are the same size. And
(thank you SMART!) they can be sorted from the soccer balls by the careful
application of a light sensor...

--
Brian Davis