 Robotics / 23351
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:38:18 GMT

"Roy Nelson" <legoroy@telus.net> wrote in message
news:IAH1Kr.7vn@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.robotics, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:
Would it be possible to get a closeup shot of the conveyor, and the
linkarm
assembly it feeds into with all those gears?

Done. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=112880

Nice work, eventually, I think you should get close-ups of each part the
marbles run through, I especially liked the mechanism you used to bring the
marbles up from the large antenna dish they collected at onto the conveyor
belt, while at the same time spacing them out a bit.

What I'd really like to know is how you interleaved the linkarms (which
look
suspiciously like 3-arm rotor blade pieces to me) so that they all shift
the marbles across without jamming up.

On each axle I used four 3-long linkarms. The link arms are positioned in
such a
way that they never rub against eachother. I have made another link-arm
passer
that uses one 4-long linkarm per axle. The linkarms do rub slightly as
they pass
but I've been able to adjust it so that it does not catch.

I see - that sounds like a way to economize somewhat if you run out of
Technic Link Tread, as bricklink calls it.  It is also a way to stop the
marbles from running into each other too much so that they start collecting
somwhere.

Do you think this assembly could be adapted to handle soccer balls and
input/output feeds?

I did a quick test and they soccer balls do work. Overall I think soccer
balls
are easier to use than marbles. I have spent many hours finding and
sorting
marbles that have a diameter that is less than a 2x2 brick...but marbles
have
nicer weight and colour.

What you should do is find a way to handle oversized marbles too, either a
simple grading mechanism, or something that 'rejects' oversized marbles.
You could make a more complicated assembly that loops the marbles from one
hopper to another, and back again, all in a continuous never-ending flow.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde