 Robotics / 23257
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:52:19 GMT

To clarify--are we allowed to use 2 'module spaces' if
we want?

   Really, the only thing defining a "module space" is a flat L & R edge,
and no part of the module extending more than 32 studs from the front
edge of the input bin "zone" - the footprint need not be remotely
rectangular, nor is there a set

   Right Now, the idea is a "linear" standard, but obviously we're
thinking (& building!) beyond this. But we're trying to stick to
the linear standard so that we can ensure *every* builder can participate.

I'll point out that the standard as it's defined pictorially allows for a
non-linear layout just as it stands.  As long as the input in in the correct
place relative to the previous block's output, and the output is placed
correctly relative to the next module's input, you can have the input and
output on any side of the 32 stud square you want.

For instance, properly configured, the input and output could be placed
right next to one another on a 32x64 platform, and still meet the standard:

|    |O|
|     -|  Next module goes here, possibly a mirror image of #1.
|      |
--------

Hope the simple graphics make it to the list.