 Robotics / 23245
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:05:12 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In an attempt to provide Technic & Mindstorms builders the same cooperative
building opportunity that's available to Moonbase, Castle, and Town/Train
builders at Brickfest, we present to you: The Great Ball Contraption.

When it's assembled at Brickfest '05 (DC), The Great Ball Contraption will be
made up of many modules by builders from all over the country, any beyond.

This device will be a combination of Rube Goldberg and the Bucket Brigade,
passing soccer balls from one module to the next, where they will be pushed,
pulled, lifted, flipped, shot, rolled, dropped, etc...  before being passed
again.

If a picture is worth 1,000 words:
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/GBCpreview.JPG

Then a 28 second video (5mb) should be worth about 840,000 words:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/Video/gbcoverview.mpg

And, a 92 second video (15mb)...  priceless.  Here's one ball passing through
our entire 10 module test assembly.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/Video/gbconeball.mpg

Keep in mind, that was built by me, and just a couple friends.  Imagine the
madness when AFoLs from all over contribute their modules to one of the greatest
works of moving LEGO artwork ever assembled...

To learn more, check out the web site:
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/

Or if you have questions, feel free to post here.

Steve

Oh My Goodness!!!  I'm so there for this!!!

This looks like the funnest thing to happen to RCX's since rtl events.

Where does one purchase 20-30 soccer balls?

Dave K