 Robotics / 23359
Re: The Great Ball Contraption 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:36:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In an attempt to provide Technic & Mindstorms builders the same cooperative
building opportunity that's available to Moonbase, Castle, and Town/Train
builders at Brickfest, we present to you: The Great Ball Contraption. • ...
Keep in mind, that was built by me, and just a couple friends.  Imagine the
madness when AFoLs from all over contribute their modules to one of the greatest
works of moving LEGO artwork ever assembled...

To learn more, check out the web site:
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/

Or if you have questions, feel free to post here.

But wait, there's more...

First, a friend (another Bryan) came over with his module, and then the next
day, we had a club meeting, where our whole LEGO club had modules.  After
running Bryan's for a bit, I considered adding a "Maximum ball velocity" to the
Type 1 spec.

Bryan's Amusement park from heck...
... uses an RC buggy motor, spinning a liftarm to 'bat' balls up a slope.  Due
to misfires, they didn't always make it up the slope, so he had to help them.

This clip also includes a good shot of the train, traveling point-to-point.

While you can see balls flying all over the place, no children, or windows were
damaged during the making of this video.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/Video/gbc-bryanb.mpg (6mb)

This video brought to you by Sprite.  Obey your thurst.

Next, we configured the train to travel in a loop around the table, with all the
modules in the middle.  I should note that the train CAN be configured as a
standard module, with 1 input, and 1 output in a straight line.

Luckily, this time, we had plenty of help finding stray balls...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/Video/gbc-loop.mpg (13mb)

Other info on the train:  It's controlled by an RCX.  Each station has 1 touch
sensor (attached to a wheel) that the train hits when it passes.  (
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1068031 )  In the above video,
the train is traveling at 1/4 speed.  After the touch sensor is pressed, the
train stops for 1/2 second, then backs up at 1/8 speed until the touch sensor is
pressed, again.  Then, the unloading motor runs, until the "unload" touch sensor
is pressed, at which point, the train dumps.  It waits for 1 second, then the
unload motor runs until the touch sensor is not pressed.  Then, the train goes
to back to the loading station, where the loading motor runs for 7 seconds.  At
that point, the train waits for what's left of 30 seconds, so the whole loop
always takes 30 seconds.

Also shown is a brown pneumatic module, which has a small compressor that runs
continuously, and two cylinder/switch pairs that flip each other.

On Sunday, our whole group got together.  Here are some pictures:

And a short video.  The clicking sound in the background is Bryan's module
shooting balls:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/Video/gbc2short.mpg (2mb)

And, a somewhat detailed video.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/GBC/Video/gbcv2.mpg (36mb)

As you can see, there are about 17 modules, built by 10 different builders.

If you want to know more details, feel free to ask,

Steve