 Robotics / 23297
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 04:38:14 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:

That way, you don't have to worry about too many Y's and not enough
straight pieces!  :)

Yes, that's something to consider.  It's possible everyone would create a 90
degree
left-hand turn.  Then what?  :)

I think you can handle this with a little care in the design of the
rules.

Actually, it's pretty interesting, if you consider how complex making a pair of
turns really is.  If you make a 90 degree right hand turn on a 32x32 baseplate, the
module must output right next to it's own input.  But, bins on a left-hand turn are
on opposite corners of the plate.

Again, a big problem comes when one of the turns don't "work".  So, if you have
exactly four turns (two right, two left) and one doesn't work, then none of them can
be used.

In any case, there's not much you can do on two modules that you can't do on one,
more complex module.  For example, the splitter/combiner could be built as one
module.

Even things like my "train" can be laid out as "one module".  By switching the
direction of the train, instead of taking balls back to the beginning, it can just
carry them and deliver them to the next module downstream.

One challenge would be to make a module that can be configured as a straight
pass-through OR a turn.

At this point, we're not interested in making the standard more complex, and
increasing the difficulty of setting it up, when it really doesn't add any
functionality to the whole contraption.

Steve