 Robotics / 23383
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:41:16 GMT

keeping tension in the tread links is proving
difficult. Any ideas on how to do that?

If you need constant tension, one way to do it is tensioner. A third gear in
the chain, that can be moved in and out changing the shape (& therefore
length) of the triangular chain path. This doesn't have to be hand-tuned
either - use a idler gear on a small free-swingin arm that is held in tension
by a weight or rubber band.

Heh, once again my over-engineering defeats me. I tried using two shock
absorbers to push a gear into the hanging part of the chain, but they just
torqued the gear so that the chain wouldn't move. I should always try the
simplest approach from now on. Thanks for the tip.

I'm not exactly sure how many "teeth" = 1 stud, but I know it's not a whole number.
So, I've found if you can change the length by 1 or 2 studs, and add a few chain
links, you don't need to add a tensioner.

Steve