 Robotics / 23259
RE: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:17:21 GMT

Or someone who owns a soccer ball could measure it and
publish the size.

Most craft stores sell a selection of little wooden balls. It
might be cheaper to buy a few about the right size rather
than paying to mail genuine Lego ones?
Of course, I'm not a purist :) Would a wooden ball start to
infect the rest of the contraption's Lego parts I wonder .....

I happen to have a LEGO basketball set on my desk... Eyeing it up
against a ruler, it is 14mm in diameter.

Depending on design choice, one might consider using only LEGO
basketballs or soccer balls because other materials would have different
physical properties.  Wood will have a different rolling friction
characteristic than LEGO plastic.  It would also be a different density.

Also (possibly worth noting), the LEGO basketballs are NOT perfectly
round:  the stripes on the ball are recessed grooves.  I do not have a
soccer ball handy to compare, so I'm not sure if that is a sphere with a
painted on soccer ball pattern or if it has ridges for the polygon
shapes.

- Rob