 Trains / 5112
Re: Jawn Henry construction notes (was Re: infrared remote control of LEGO trains using NQC and RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 14:53:32 GMT

Wow! Thank for the construction tips!  I guess I may be one step ahead then.
My Big Boy's tender operates on an end slider of two attached wheelsets.  I
have noticed a slight uplift going in and coming out of curves, but nothing
major.  I guess the weight of the tender body keeps it down.  Which if this is
the case, the weight of the Jawn Henry will keep the wheelset from riding up
as it is pulled.  But, I will listen to those who have gone before and
investigate more.  If the end slider works then maybe it will help.  I will
post my findings.  I can though understand the concern.  The distance between
the drivers on a 9V train motor just do fit snuggly into the track.  I
attached a wheelset rigidly to it, set it on the track and it would have to
slide about 1/4 of a stud to each side.  Not a problem.  The only thing to
consider is that the motor, geometrically, would cast a larger radius arc than
two wheelsets close together. To bad TLG doesn't come out with a 2-hole
technic piece...

Stacy

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Lar,

When I read your comment I jumped up to check it out. The center slider[1]
evolved from an unattached wheelset, which is why it had to be in the center. • When
you said end slider I thought, "Power for my SD40!" I did not try to make it, • but
there would be a problem. Put a motor on a curve and then put two trucks • separated
by three studs on a curve. The motor is held in place snuggly, the dual • wheelset
truck does not fit snuggly. I think the extra bit of slop, in the dual • wheelset
truck, is needed for my design to work. With a motor, the third wheelset has • to
move from side to side much more than my design would allow. A small redesign
would allow the wheelset to move more, but here may be--and probabley are-- • better
solutions.

Chris

[1]
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/Engine% • 20gallery/EMD_SD40_2/Floating_wheeset_folder/trucks.htm

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Stacy J. Bledsoe writes:
Thanks for the advise Michel,
After looking over the Jawn Henry schematics last night I noticed that each
six driver wheelset, there being 4 sets of 6, has an offset between the • first
and second pair of drivers, then the second and third are close together. • So,
after scaling I believe I can make each Set of 6 using a motor and one pair
wheelset attached behind.

If you do this (1) you need to arrange for articulation of some sort. I • used a
ball and socket(2). Others have used an arrangement to allow the non motor
wheelset to slide sideways. (3)

But if you make the 6 wheel truck rigid, you won't be able to get round
corners, I don't think.

1 - I did for Big Red, which at this point to me is looking rather weak
compared to more realistic work done lately

2 - Which you can see on my webpage. http://my.voyager.net/lar

3 - There was an SD posted recently in Conrail colors that has a center • slider,
you'd be the first to do an end slider if you pulled it off, I think,

++Lar