 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 499
Re: infrared remote control of LEGO trains using NQC and RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 19:17:28 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Ben Fleskes writes:
First, let me apologize for mistyping NQC as NCQ.

Hey Ben!

Hope those rumors are true.  So if they are going to do something with remote
switches and such, will it be similar to DCC or radio/infrared control?  I'm
guessing some form of remote control. Perhaps supplying 9v current over the
rails (or battery) and remotely control throttle with radio/infrared. My guess
is based on the LEGO desire to make things compatible between systems.  DCC
would have limited application beyond trains.

I'm don't agree with this, because you can use it also in buildings to switch
lights in /out, controlling windmills, bridges as well, and this all over the
same wires, witch are in this case the track !
Of coarce, the used 'modules 'are different than the one who controls the
train motor. If you take a look at MAERKLIN, then you will see the 'endless'
possibilities of it. They have a crane mounted on a train car (looks like the
4552), witch is FULLY controllable over the track using their DCC system (NEW
MOTOROLA FORMAT).
This system is able to control 80 motors (locomotives)+ the additional
decoders for points, feedback, ... !!!
So, every club will be satisfied with this kind of solution (I don't see 80
trains running on the same track at an exibition).

  LEGO already has Radio and
Infrared systems out there that may be compatible with what the trains will
be.

This is the limit of the possibilities.
1) Radio control:
You can't use the same frequency to control several trains, or the information
have to be modulated / multiplexed.
The used controller will have his limits on the number of 'controllable
devices'

2)Infra Red:
You can't use it in tunnels, or to control trains that run trough the wall to
an other room, or you need extra transmitters / cabling.

Conclusion:
I hope it's a DCC system, and that the track we have now are compatible with
the new system .

Regards,
Ludo