 Trains / 4970
Re: New LEGO train realism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 00:33:09 GMT

I would venture to say that 45" x 60" would be better.  The reason there is
that even though you lose 5" on the length, you keep the modules in
increments of lg. gray baseplates.  That is important if you want to allow
another group to slip module into your layout.  It would suck to be short
5", as you would then be forced to put in 13 30" wide modules to fit evenly.
Also, your current 45x30 tables would not become obsolete, but rather just
need to be joined together to make one large module.  (Perhaps some new 2x4s
would help, though)

I realize that you want to max out the capacity of your trailer, but that
extra 5" will make it extra hard for others to make compatible modules.  65"
is 13 track lengths.  Not that 13 is unlucky, but it is a prime number,
which means you can't split it like a table that is 12 lengths (or 60"),
into 2 six-track length (30") tables.

With 14 modules, which is what is on your diagram, you lose 70" of potential
layout.  Granted, that is a lot of real estate, but you really are adding to
what you already have.  And it is only a difference of 8%.  Consider it like
sales tax.  It could be called "compatibility tax."  Two of my modules are
60" wide.  The standard PNLTC module is 60" wide.  Four 45" modules = three
60" modules.  65" modules stop all of that ease of use.  Really, you are
talking about making a 13-length brick, which will be much more unpopular
than the dreaded 2x3s I have piled up in the corner.  (Literally, I have 20
blue tubs FULL of them).

Mike Poindexter

John Gerlach <john.gerlach@bestbuy.nospam.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, John Matthews writes:
Somehow, 65" doesn't sound right to me.  Whole baseplates would be best, • no?
If you are going to go that long, why not bump up to 80" so that you can • use
standard hollow core doors for table tops.  It would be an inexpensive
solution...

John Matthews

If we just use the grey baseplates, 45x60 or 45x75 would make the most • sense.
But, our trailer is 76 inches wide, with a door 72 inches wide.  With the • 65
inch length, we can put the racks into the trailer sideways, and still • have
enough room to maneuver them...

JohnG, GMLTC