 Trains / 5110
Re: Jawn Henry construction notes (was Re: infrared remote control of LEGO trains using NQC and RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 05:25:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Lar,

  When I read your comment I jumped up to check it out. The center slider[1]
evolved from an unattached wheelset, which is why it had to be in the center. When
you said end slider I thought, "Power for my SD40!" I did not try to make it, but
there would be a problem. Put a motor on a curve and then put two trucks separated
by three studs on a curve. The motor is held in place snuggly, the dual wheelset
truck does not fit snuggly. I think the extra bit of slop, in the dual wheelset
truck, is needed for my design to work. With a motor, the third wheelset has to
move from side to side much more than my design would allow. A small redesign
would allow the wheelset to move more, but here may be--and probabley are--better
solutions.

Chris

[1]
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/Engine%20gallery/EMD_SD40_2/Floating_wheeset_folder/trucks.htm

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Stacy J. Bledsoe writes:
Thanks for the advise Michel,
After looking over the Jawn Henry schematics last night I noticed that each
six driver wheelset, there being 4 sets of 6, has an offset between the first
and second pair of drivers, then the second and third are close together.  So,
after scaling I believe I can make each Set of 6 using a motor and one pair
wheelset attached behind.

If you do this (1) you need to arrange for articulation of some sort. I used a
ball and socket(2). Others have used an arrangement to allow the non motor
wheelset to slide sideways. (3)

But if you make the 6 wheel truck rigid, you won't be able to get round
corners, I don't think.

1 - I did for Big Red, which at this point to me is looking rather weak
compared to more realistic work done lately

2 - Which you can see on my webpage. http://my.voyager.net/lar

3 - There was an SD posted recently in Conrail colors that has a center slider,
you'd be the first to do an end slider if you pulled it off, I think,

++Lar