 Trains / 4941
4940  |  4942
Subject:
New LEGO train realism? (was:Re:infrared remote control of LEGO trains using NCQ and RCX)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:43:10 GMT

Reinhard \"Ben\" Beneke wrote:

Hi Ben F.!

Maybe all your work is a little needless, since there are rumors going around
here in Germany, saying Lego is going to invent new more realistic trains next
year, or even late this year around X-mas......

This sounds almost too good to be true, but it would be very fortuitous for the
GMLTC because we have just voted at our last show in La Crosse (went well, pics
and mpegs to follow, but not soon as I am leaving on vacation for 2 weeks soon) to
rebuild our entire layout, and get this-- we will be featuring all 8 wide rolling
stock and engines{:^D.  No undo influence on my part, just a general consensus
that 8 wides look nicer and fit the scale better, so do not believe any nonsense
about the moniker "Hurricane Neal" <sorry, J-3>  We are meeting as a group
(conference call for members at large) to discuss the details tomorrow night, so
it will happen-- the timing, though, is still way up in the air.  If these rumors
are true, then we would of course want to take full advantage of incorporating
them into the layout.

Mike, we should talk, because we are even changing our table dimensions as well.
Looks like we will be switching to a 40" x 65" table (all dimensions were based on
maximizing our trailer space).  Also, we will not maintain a 20 brick high level,
but move from a minimum of 5 up to 20 and higher.

As I said before, most details are to be worked out, but I just thought I'd toss
out this heads up.  Not a good time for me to start a discussion because I am
leaving town soon and computer access is a remote possibility <sorry>, but there
you go.

And while I'm on the subject of tossing out teasers, I'll mention that I was happy
with my first attempt at modeling 14 wide rolling stock which I debuted at the
train show.  Built originally a display model of a box car to show off the club
logo, the idea quickly took off to where I completed 1 box car and 1 caboose.
Three other box cars are in various stages of completion.  I employed G scale
trucks and couplers, and even got to run them (ever so briefly) on a G scale
layout at the show.  Again, pics and video to come later rather than sooner.
Weight of the cars was a major problem, as well as brick griping strength for the
couplers.  I am now going to use trucks which have arms attached to them for the
couplers (not proto, but necessary IMO).  My plan is to eventually build a garden
layout for my cars-- perhaps towards the end of the summer.

-John (J-2)

I've heared about it from a friend of mine (who has a friend...) whose
girl-friend is working at a PR agency, which is layouting the new Lego catalog
with new digital controlled train stuff including remote controlled points and
signals. Maybe it's just one of those rumors. I haven't seen any pics so far
and maybe the result is something like the long expected Millenium Falcon (kind
of juniorized again?)....

Regards,

Ben (the one with the ABS site....)