 Trains / 5009
Re: Club Table Standards was Re: New LEGO train realism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:22:53 GMT

Christopher,

I'd defiantly like to see some detail on how all did the hinges with the
legs. I'd love to keep the 2x2 legs I already have. So if I can find a way
to hinge them and keep the same sturdiness, that would be great.

I'm actually using 1" x 1/2" for the sides and since the particle board is
so strong I've avoided having to use a middle cross beam. The older tables
have 2 cross beams (but they still started warping after a year in my
garage, thanks to the Georgia humidity) I think I going to retire the older
tables from the regular layout and use a few for a kids layout. I'll just
cut the legs a bit shorter for them.

James

p.s.. how did Denise find that LEGO shirt in her size? The only ones I ever
see at the Outlet Store or Disney are like size four and down.

Christopher Tracey wrote in message <38DA2924.A44CB60@wamalug.org>...
"James J. Trobaugh" wrote:

The NGLTC is also looking at the folding buffet style (or church tables)
legs, I don't care what the cost is as long as it keeps me from spending
most of my set up bolting tables legs together, and it will make for more

Tom Cook, WAMALUG's resident builder of cool things, designed and built the
folding leg system on our tables.  Like I said in an earlier post, the
tables are 40.25" to a side.  The frame is made out of 1"x3" pine, with a
3/8" plywood top.  There is a cross member that supports the top of the
table.  The legs are 2x2 pressure treated pine, a small plywood triangle
is screwed to the leg and attached to the table with a short length of
piano hinge.  Some sort of brass locking support that I don't know the
proper name for locks the legs into position.  The legs have adjustable
bolts on the bottom to compensate for floor unevenness.  We clamp them
together with spring clamps.

You can see some of the underside of the tables in this pic:

A table can be setup in about thirty seconds.  I have stood on top of them,
but I am a lightweight.  The tables are pretty light, many of us can carry
two
of them at a time.  13 of them fit comfortable into a minivan.  I can fit
two
or three into my saturn.   The tables cost about $30 each, but could
probably
be made larger for not much more.  We can probably get measured drawings
and
more photos up if anyone would like more detail.

Along with legs, I'm working on a way to bold wheels on to one of the • tables
and make it into a "cart" to carry the other tables. Its a pain to carry • all
those tables in when the show doesn't have "drive in" capabilities.

This is a great idea.

I also like the idea of running the layout from the outside, most shows I
have been placing the controls in a location discreetly on the outside. • Also
being tall (6'5") I never seem to have a problem reaching over two • tables,
but some of the other club members are not as "vertically advantaged".. • ha!

One section of our past two layouts have had a solid surface are of 80" x
120".
That's a reach. :)

-Chris