 Trains / 5001
Re: infrared remote control of LEGO trains using NQC and RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 16:17:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Stacy J. Bledsoe writes:

In fact my next project is building the Jawn Henry.  I have already started
scaling the loco and have found many photos and schematics for it.  I just do
not know which era to model it from.  Its first action or when it took on • some
modification, like extra punches in the exterior and the extension of the • coal
compartment.  What do you think?

It's funny to speak of a loco that had a lifetime of what, 4 years from
acceptance trials to being scrapped, as having eras (!), but I get what you
mean.

I'd go with whatever is easiest to model, or if it's a tossup, as built. I
think there are more photos from the acceptance trials and early publicity • than
from the later mods.

What a monster that will be if you pull it off. Are you going to have it fold
in the middle? Otherwise it will look pretty weird on curves. Not that it
wouldn't look weird with a fold.

++Lar
Hey Larry,  thanks for the reply.
I think I'll work it as I did the big boy, having the driver set attached to
the body the the loco with sliding translations points to allow some growth in
turns.  Using a pivot point and a technic 3-hole piece (sorry I'm at work and
the actually name has left me), I have found that it is easier to keep the
line of the track.  The later 8-driver set on the big boy slides to the left
or right about 3 studs past the edge of the boiler.  I did not connect the
front and rear set of drivers.  They pivot and articulate independently.  The
overhang is about as much as your Big RED.  I don't know we'll see.  Well know
my day at the office is shot, all I can think of is lego instead of
architacture.  Thanks Larry! :)

Stacy